Friday, November 28, 2008

From Manhattan

I'm sitting in a starbucks in the financial district of New York city. I have been strolling along the waterfront through battery park listening to my iPod. It's not too cold and the skies are pretty clear, it's a lot to take in.
I was taking with my good friend Tresa from Chicago about how sometimes you need a reset. Life gets complicated, life gets tough, and guess what - it doesn't stop. Everyone needs that big red button in their life that wipes out where you have been and what you were doing so you can refocus and "get a grip" as it were....
Being here is my own little reset. NYC is a place that is full of everything. History happened here. There are lots of things in this city that represent our nation, objects that are loaded with more meaning than than just the metals and concrete that make them up. For example the Statue of Libery. Yeah it's a tourist trap, but it represents something more than what it is made of. It represents Liberty. Liberty means personal freedom from oppression, servitude, and confinement. It's a beacon of hope that stands through the weather - true and strong reminding those who look to her that we live in a place that was formed for the people and by the people. It gives me a sense of pride and joy when I think about that.
Among all the terrible and dark things that are going on these days we still have a beacon of hope and the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Now, after that long diatribe I am going to pick up shop and revel in the fact that I am in a beautiful city and enjoy it while I can.

I took some good photos of the World Financial building and along the waterfront. While in the WFB I discovered a brilliant view of the WTC site. It's coming along, slowly but surely. It's amazing the work and effort that must go in to building a structure in the middle of New York. It surely isn't easy.

From the local starbucks here in the financial district at the corner of Broad and Bever streets, between two business women on my left, and on my right, undoubtobly a homeless man talking to the reflection of himself in the window - Happy Holidays and Goodnight!

New York



-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: